You can view our WPS Calculations Policy and Key Skills in Maths (revised September 2021)
WPS Curriculum - please scroll down this page to view the WPS Curriculum Maps
The WPS curriculum is delivered through a series of planned units of work which are created and implemented by our teaching staff.
The aims of our school curriculum are:
- to enable all children to enjoy learning, and develop their skills, to the best of their ability
- to promote a positive attitude towards learning, so that children enjoy coming to school, and acquire a solid basis for lifelong learning
- to teach children the essential basic skills of English, Mathematics, Science and Computing
- to enable children to be creative and to develop their own thinking
- to teach children about the developing world, including how their environment and society have changed over time
- to help children understand Britain's cultural heritage
- to appreciate and value the contribution made by all ethnic groups in our multi-cultural society
- to enable children to be positive citizens
- to fulfil all the requirements of the National Curriculum and the Locally Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education
- to teach children to have an awareness of their own spiritual development, and to distinguish right from wrong
- to help children understand the importance of truth and fairness, so that they grow up committed to equal opportunities for all
- to enable children to have respect for themselves and high self-esteem, and to live and work cooperatively with others
- to prepare WPS children for life in modern Britain.
Please click on the blue links below for further information about the WPS Curriculum.
Curriculum Information - please click on the blue links below for further information about our curriculum
Expectations for Maths in the new national curriculum
Teaching calculation at WPS
WPS Curriculum Maps
Please click on the blue links below to view further information:
Phonics at WPS
From September 2012 we started to use the Read Write Inc approach to teaching phonics. Read Write Inc is mainly taught in our Early Years Foundation Stage, Y1 and Y2 classes. All children take part in small group, daily phonics lessons with children in Y2 moving on to daily comprehension skills lessons also using the Read Write Inc approach.
You can follow the link to our WPS information page to find out further information.
Please click on the blue link below:
WPS Calculations Policy September 2021
We updated our School Calculations Policy to reflect the requirements of the National Curriculum 2014.
This policy was revised in September 2021.
The policy details the methods used to teach mathematics across school and ensures a consistent approach in our teaching methods. All staff have received training on the use of this policy.
Calculation workshops for parents and carers are held annually . These are a great opportunity for you to find out about the methods we use to teach maths, especially calculations.
WPS Marking and Feedback Policy 2021-22
The WPS Marking and Feedback Policy was updated in October 2019. The policy explains how teachers mark children's work and give children specific feedback on how to improve. The overall aim of the Marking and Feedback Policy is ensure children know the next steps in their learning and what they need to do to improve. It also aims to recognise the achievements children have made and to celebrate their progress.
Please click on the blue link below to view this policy: